{The List-} Civilizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skywalker
    A special balanced MP map generator is planned for the next C3C patch.
    Cool!

However, such "imbalance" should be based on start position and randomness. However, nonrandom things need to be balanced for MP to work.
    Generally. The playing field doesn't have to be level, but the bumps have to be known.

[ok]
    [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

• Racism

Would people still have PC problems if only extinct peoples had the problem characteristics?

Randomized Handicaps

For the people who don't want preprogrammed traits: Do you agree with me about having many civs whose only differences are things like city names?

Developed Traits

I would not object to traits being created by your environment and experiences.

Temporal Factors

I don't think I've mentioned this yet for Civ4, and most people probably don't remember me mentioning it for Civ3. What if the standard game didn't begin at the beginning of history. What if the American Civ begins between 1500 and 1800 AD, with other civs already having much territory, but handicapped to reflect how America or whichever other Civ surpassed them in real history. The game could only last for a few centuries, and your score would come from how you were doing at the height of your civilization. You might be predestined to be destroyed after a few centuries. You wouldn't have any 20 or 50 year turns. Perhaps somehow China could start at the beginning of history and last to the present day. If you play one game in ancient times, as the Babylonians maybe, you could later start a new game in the future of the first game as a different civ, with the computer generating what happened in between.

Comment

• bump.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
          Racism

Would people still have PC problems if only extinct peoples had the problem characteristics?

Extinct peoples???
          I thought homo erectus was dominant and unthreatened, not extinct.

But, what about Peruvians and Inca?
          Vote Democrat
          Support Democracy

Comment

• For scenarios, of course give whatever traits you feel are appropriate. For the grand campaign game, how about making the cultural traits (seafaring, militaristic, etc) researcheable options?

Each trait should have a specific ancient-era tech to unlock it. A nation may have a maximum of 2 traits active at a time. If it has 2 already, the only way it can 'research' a new trait is by first voluntarily losing one of the traits; you lose the older trait before you start researching the new trait. It costs nothing to lose a trait (except for the specific bonuses that trait gave).
            The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
            And quite unaccustomed to fear,
            But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
            Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

• Um.. this is peripheral, but your city displays should have people of your race only up until the 20th century, in which they become multicultural. That would be a nice touch.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brent
                Racism

Yes.
                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                  Um.. this is peripheral, but your city displays should have people of your race only up until the 20th century, in which they become multicultural. That would be a nice touch.
                  Hmmm. Some ancient cities were most certainly multi-cultural. (Wasn't Jerusalem divided into three sections at one point?)

It's that ol' scaling issue again. In 600 BCE, Babylon might have Egyptians, Persians, Sumerians, Hittites, etc. etc. etc. within its walls. By the middle-ages, and certainly by the industrial, we might lump them all together as Semitic peoples.

To add to the confusion, while we might regard Semitic peoples as having more similarities than differences, they might be willing to die for those differences.

I think that mechanic probably works as well as it's going to.

[ok]
                  [ok]

"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes. "

Comment

• Um.. this is peripheral, but your city displays should have people of your race only up until the 20th century, in which they become multicultural. That would be a nice touch.
                    Not all modern civs are necessarily multicultural... the only reason I would support this is if the different 'colors/races' would come via immigration rather than some arbitraryness.

Anyways, who's to say that in our game of civilization that the 'races' will evolve as they did in this day and age. Everyone in our games might be black or white or have asian/mongolian characteristics just due to the 'cultural exchange levels between civs'
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• FROM THE SPANISH COMMUNITY LIST

25. Bring back the Civil Wars in which a Civ were divided into several factions when its capital was taken.
                      25. bis When a city is far enough from the capital city and fells in civil disorder, it could proclaim its independence, thus beginning a civil war.
                      «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

Comment

• Originally posted by POTUS I thought homo erectus was dominant and unthreatened, not extinct.
                        I'm afraid I have bad news for you: Homo erectus became extinct around a quarter of a million years ago. The ape-descended life forms you see around you are in fact the ironically-named Homo sapiens. Although looking around me, I often wonder if erectus is really as vanished as we thought...

Comment

• If the Barbarians are capable of acting similarly to any other civ what's the point in having them? Aren't they best used as something that will just attack you to keep you on your toes and add a little something extra to the game? Wouldn't there aim merely be to rob you of your riches and scarper?

Regarding migration, perhaps sometime during the Industrial Age a civ could operate an "open door" policy that would allow citizens from any civs could join another civ and contribute just as effectively (whilst retaining there nationality).
                          Last edited by BiggJase; March 2, 2004, 01:34.

Comment

• Kind of wish the debate about what civs to add would rage on.

This thread is very much appreciated by modders looking for ideas on what civs to add to our games.

Comment

• I like the idea of the minor civs instead of barbarians, and letting them become more important as they conquered their neighbors. On the other hand, having that many civs in the game could seriously slow down the game play on older systems. It sounds like a really good idea, though....maybe make it an optional setting, or part of an expansion pack, that way the people with the older computer could still enjoy the basics of the game.

Comment

• keep the most interesting civs from civ3. obviously the classic ones, i think a lot of the conquest and ptw ones were money. in civ4 i would not include the hittites or the sumerians - too many civs from those area. 32 civs seem about right. add maybe some from south east asia/ oceanaia
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X